Exciting news from the annual Good Food Guide Top 50 which was announced last week with Nathan Outlaw’s Cornish venture coming out on top of the pile followed by both stalwarts of the industry and a few exciting new additions.
On receiving his accolade Nathan Outlaw said:
“It just goes to show that if you stay true to yourself, get your head down, look after your customers and use the very best ingredients available to you, you’ll make it to the top.”
Outlaw, 39, who has worked with TV chef Rick Stein, founded the two Michelin star eatery in 2007, and first made it on the list in 2009 at number 11.
Good Food Guide editor Elizabeth Carter said:
“Nathan Outlaw’s food is characterised by the absolute freshness of ingredients and a clear sense of purpose.”
“Nobody seems to leave Nathan Outlaw’s staff – they just go and work in another one of his restaurants. They obviously think he’s a pretty good boss as well as a fine chef.”
Here at Bermar we were delighted as a quick check revealed that 72% of the top 50 trust Le Verre de Vin to support their wine and Champagne by the glass programmes. We’re honoured to work with Nathan Outlaw, both in Cornwall and London.
Nathan’s wine lists include some exciting and unusual listings by the glass, we for one would love to try a glass of Sparkling Koshu from Japan and the prospect of pairing his incredible tasting menus with a flight of wines that give customers “an experience we wish you never to forget” sounds right up our street! Sounds like a visit to Cornwall is high on the agenda for our next team outing….!
Taking a quick look at one of the Top 50 in more detail, Paul Ainsworth at No. 6 has just installed a brand-new Steel Classic (below) and is offering an ever-growing and evolving list with an interest in what tastes great right now. Just as with the food, No. 6 are always looking for flavour, acidity, balance and texture, and often, something that just puts a smile on their customers’ faces.
The trend towards customers drinking ‘less but better’ is gathering real momentum and up and down this list are some of the most creative, unique wine by the glass offers you’ll find anywhere in the UK!
The value that so many of these top 50 operators place in Le Verre de Vin is testament to the focus they have on delivering exceptional experiences and satisfaction to their customers… one glass at a time. Not to mention the fact that these incredible restaurants are able to serve more premium products to willing customers whilst eradicating waste along the way.
The Good Food Guide, published by Waitrose, was first published in 1951 with 600 restaurants “where you can rely on a good meal at a reasonable price”.
The top 50 restaurants and their score out of 10, as ranked in the 2018 Good Food Guide, are:
- Restaurant Nathan Outlaw, Cornwall (10)
- L’Enclume, Cumbria (10)
- Pollen Street Social, London (9)
- Restaurant Sat Bains, Nottinghamshire (9)
- The Fat Duck, Berkshire (9)
- Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, London (9)
- Hedone, London (8)
- Restaurant Andrew Fairlie, Tayside (8)
- Claude Bosi at Bibendum, London (8)
- Casamia, Bristol (8)
- Bohemia, Jersey (8)
- Ynyshir, Powys (8)
- Dinner by Heston Blumenthal, London (8)
- Fraiche, Merseyside (8)
- Marcus, London (8)
- Le Champignon Sauvage, Gloucestershire (8)
- Adam Reid at The French, Manchester (8)
- The Ledbury, London (8)
- Andre Garrett at Cliveden, Berkshire (8)
- Midsummer House, Cambridgeshire (8)
- Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester, London (8)
- The Peat Inn, Fife (8)
- The Kitchin, Edinburgh (7)
- Sketch, Lecture Room & Library, London (7)
- The Three Chimneys, Isle of Skye (7)
- Moor Hall, Lancashire (7)
- The Greenhouse, London (7)
- The Ritz, London (7)
- Castle Terrace, Edinburgh (7)
- Forest Side, Cumbria (7)
- Orwells, Oxfordshire (7)
- Paul Ainsworth at No. 6, Cornwall (7)
- Restaurant Marianne, London (7)
- The Waterside Inn, Berkshire (7)
- Restaurant James Sommerin, Glamorgan (7)
- Artichoke, Buckinghamshire (7)
- The Raby Hunt, Durham (7)
- Whatley Manor, The Dining Room, Wiltshire (7)
- Restaurant Story, London (7)
- Simpsons, Birmingham (7)
- Restaurant Martin Wishart, Edinburgh (7)
- The Sportsman, Kent (7)
- Adam’s, Birmingham (7)
- Freemasons at Wiswell, Lancashire (7)
- Gidleigh Park, Devon (7)
- Le Gavroche, London (7)
- Hambleton Hall, Rutland (7)
- Murano, London (7)
- The Whitebrook, Gwent (7)
- The Man Behind the Curtain, Leeds (7)
We want to congratulate all 50 for hitting the top list this year and we wish you every success in the future!
We’d be delighted to support you with offering your guests a better experience when it comes to all things wine and fizz… get in touch to learn more!